For those of you who don’t know, I’ve spent my entire adult life working in the not for profit industry. Non-profits are typically service oriented organizations that often start as a passion project for a person or group of people looking to enact social change. The Color Project became special to me when I learned it is focused around volunteering and participating in The Color Project (the charity project).
In the spirit of philanthropy, I wanted to share some ways you can support your favorite causes. Historically, money and your time (volunteering) have been the main way to support a cause but times are changing and so are how people engage!
How to Support Your Favorite Causes
- Start a Facebook Fundraiser – Facebook makes it really easy for people to raise money for their favorite non-profits. Every dollar matters and your friends will often want to support the things you’re interested in!
- Talk About It on Social Media – There’s a reason services like ThunderClap exist. Tag the cause and share why people should be interested. Share their newsletter or a post!
- Pair a Skill – Non-profits notoriously need graphic design, help with their social media, branding, and other business-y type things. If you work in the marketing business or have a connection, sharing is caring!
- Supply Drive – Ask what supplies a non-profit needs and collect them!
- Employer Matches – See if your employer offers matching gifts for your time or money – a lot do!
- Money & Time – Like I said above, donating your time or your dollars is still a popular way to support causes. But don’t let being broke (or time broke) stop you from supporting! The only caveat with volunteering is something non-profits don’t have a role for volunteers (mine doesn’t – the work is confidential).
Of course, I couldn’t leave you without sharing my top 3 favorite causes to support.
Share some of yours in the comments!
– I support not only my friends who are teachers but also other teachers locally.
The Color Project
By Sierra Abrams
Published: July 18th, 2017
Publisher: Gatekeeper Press
Links to buy the book: Amazon Barnes & Noble Book Depository
Add to: GoodReads
Bernice Aurora Wescott has one thing she doesn’t want anyone to know: her name. That is, until Bee meets Levi, the local golden boy who runs a charity organization called The Color Project.
Levi is not at all shy about attempting to guess Bee’s real name; his persistence is one of the many reasons why Bee falls for him. But while Levi is everything she never knew she needed, giving up her name would feel like a stamp on forever. And that terrifies her.
When unexpected news of an illness in the family drains Bee’s summer of everything bright, she is pushed to the breaking point. Losing herself in The Color Project—a world of weddings, funerals, cancer patients, and hopeful families that the charity funds—is no longer enough. Bee must hold up the weight of her family, but to do that, she needs Levi. She’ll have to give up her name and let him in completely or lose the best thing that’s ever happened to her.
For fans of Stephanie Perkins and Morgan Matson, THE COLOR PROJECT is a story about the three great loves of life—family, friendship, and romance—and the bonds that withstand tragedy.
At 7 years old, Sierra Abrams decided that one day she would publish a book. For over a decade, in between exploring other career options, she kept coming back to that very first dream. Now her life consists of writing books of all kinds… Kissing books, angsty books, killing books, whimsical books, and sometimes books that are all of the above. When she’s not writing, you can find her reading, traveling, consuming sushi, or daydreaming about Henry Cavill.
Follow the Tour
Monday June 19
Tuesday June 20
Wednesday June 21
In The Morning at 8:00 AM EST – Review – YAandWine
Thursday June 22
In The Morning at 8:00 AM EST – Review – AvdReader
In The Afternoon at 1:00 PM EST – DIY: The Color Project Bookmarks – LoisReadsBooks
Friday June 23
Saturday June 24
Sunday June 25
Monday June 26
In The Afternoon at 1:00 PM EST – Review – InkDin
Tuesday June 27
Wednesday June 28
In The Morning at 8:00 AM EST – Book Hangover – FablesandFae
Thursday June 29
Friday June 30
Saturday July 1st
a Rafflecopter giveaway