I absolutely love reading graphic novels because there is so much more sensory input with the art. I recently picked up Shatter Warrior and was blown away! I loved so much about this book and I’m here to share a few reasons why you need to read it, whether you’re a graphic novel reader or not!
Five Reasons You Need to Read Shattered Warrior
- Multi-faceted story with scifi and romance elements. I am such a sucker for a good romance story and I think everyone knows how much I love reading scifi. They were in perfect balance within the story.
- It’s a standalone! As a person who reads about a million ongoing series, having a standalone is refreshing.
- This book is gritty. This book does not shy away from violence, sex, and other human dynamics.
- Characters you’ll fall in love with. Colleen’s story is tragic and yet you know she’s going to fight this world with all she has for her lost niece.
- Art that is TO DIE FOR. Ohhhhh my gosh, Molly’s art is absolutely stunning. This is a graphic novel where the page layouts, colors, and facial expressions tell as much of the story as the words do.
by Shannon Shinn, with art by Molly Knox Ostertag
Published: May 16th 2017
Publisher: First Second
It is ten years after Colleen Cavanaugh’s home world was invaded by the Derichets, a tyrannical alien race bent on exploiting the planet’s mineral resources.
Most of her family died in the war, and she now lives alone in the city. Aside from her acquaintances at the factory where she toils for the Derichets, Colleen makes a single friend in Jann, a member of the violent group of rebels known as the Chromatti. One day Colleen receives shocking news: her niece Lucy is alive and in need of her help. Together, Colleen, Jann, and Lucy create their own tenuous family.
But Colleen must decide if it’s worth risking all of their survival to join a growing underground revolution against the Derichets.